12.26.2011

A Dose of My Own Advice

You've heard the saying "Practice what you preach". And I'm sure you catch yourself giving advice to people and then you yourself do the opposite of that advice to others. Does that sound about right? 


I know this all to well. I'm a Beachbody coach. I give advice all the time to people who are looking to lose weight, feel better and look better. I started my weightloss journey a little over 2 years ago and for the most part I have been very successful. I lost 50 pounds in the first year, maintained that loss during the 2nd year. I was inspired to get healthy and have inspired others to do the same. It's been a great new lifestyle. And I really love how I feel - however, lately, I've been waning in my own motivation.


What I mean is, I've lost focus. I've lost drive. No I'm not gaining a bunch of weight back. I refuse to go back to the way I used to be. What I mean is I've lost my way...no that's not what I mean either. I'm stopped in my tracks and ran out of gas. I've stalled and don't know how to get started again. That's more like it. I know what I want to do. I know what I need to do. What I don't know is why I stopped in the first place. I don't know why I lost focus on my own personal needs. 


I know this funk won't last long. The holidays are almost over, the new year is almost here. There are going to be a lot of new things going on: moving in to our new home being the hugest. I'll have plenty to keep me busy, but I am worried that with all this new stuff about to happen, I'll get lost in the shuffle. I won't be able to keep up and the anxiety and the fear will hold me back from the things I must do for myself: Eat clean, work out, train, study and continue to help those who are counting on me. Most of all, I'm scared I'll drop the ball on my home business. And my home business depends on me sticking to a healthy lifestyle. 


So much to think about, plan and prepare for this new year coming. So much to worry about, pray about and the only thing I can think of at times like this is that prayer called "The Serenity Prayer".


I must remember that I am not in control of everything. I can control my actions and my reactions, but not what causes those actions and reactions. I must remember to live one moment at a time and do what I can do and not focus on what I can not do. 

Therefore: I can get back on track and get back my focus. I can say no to temptations and get in a walk every day. I can eat more fruits and veggies, drink more water and say no to food I know is not nutritious. And I can trust that God will be with me every step of the way. 

After all - this is what I would tell the people who ask me for advice, so why not listen to myself and take my own advice... 

2 comments:

  1. Silly girl..you stopped for a moment of reflection! Moving forward is great but it does you no good if you're just on auto-pilot. Sometimes you have to just stop and make sure you're heading the right way,under the right motivation and in the right way. You might not have meant to stop but clearly someone thought you needed to. With everything else going on in your life it's perfect timing to stop and reorganize life, business, priority and such. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking your own advice can be tough! Especially around fitness!! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete